Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Drop ceiling options, sound insulation, etc.

They make vinyl faced gyp ceiling tile. It is used in most
commercial kitchens. There are also solid PVC ceiling tile in
many patterns.

You might like the look of Teglar tile in an accent colored grid.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"RogerT" wrote in message
"RonB" wrote in message
On Feb 6, 10:01 pm, "RogerT" wrote:
I am finishing a basement level apartment in a 3-unit building
and I need to
decide how to finish the ceiling. ...

Although I don't really like the look of a drop ceiling, I am
thinking that
a drop ceiling may be the best option....

Any ideas or suggestions regarding the drop ceiling idea would
be
appreciated.

I am thinking of adding some type of insulation on top of the
drop ceiling
panels as an additional sound barrier if that would help....

I think you are smart for considering a dropped ceiling. We just
built
a new home will a partially finished basement. Most of the
basement
is sheet-rocked except the bath ceiling,

RonB

Thanks. Have you given thought to what type of drop ceiling
tiles you will be using in the bath ceiling? I am concerned
about the tiles absorbing moisture and humidity and the metal
rails rusting over time. For that reason, I am thinking of
doing the opposite of what you did by using a drop ceiling
everywhere except the bath ceiling.

Also, I am looking into SAB's (Sound Absorbing Batts), but I
have to see if they sell them at Home Depot or Lowe's etc., and
how much they cost.