Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default 3 sided garage

"Owen Robb" wrote in message
I am looking for some guidance on a garage issue that I have.

The back story is that I have acquired a house that was built in
1978-79 in Alberta, Canada. The house was finished and then the
garage was added to the house. I am now rewiring, insulating and
adding cabinets to the garage. As I was looking over the garage to
frame up the wall that is against the house I realized that in fact I
have a 3 walled garage. On the fourth wall against the house the
garage is butted up to the house. So I have a stucco wall inside my
garage. The roof line and the two walls that butt the house are
properly tied in and there are no leaks.
My issue is when I frame up the fourth wall (have to run power) should
I insulate and if I did what would I do about the vapor barrier ? If
I do not have to insulate then I would go with 2 X 4 framing but if I
do insulate then I would go with a 2 X 6 frame.
I guess my third option would be to run electrical conduit and mount
the plugs on the stucco wall

Any ideas would be helpful. Just remember that I need to insulate so
that I can use the garage for a wood shop.

He HAS to frame a fire wall between the house and garage and sheetrock it
with 5/8 Fire Code sheetrock all the way to the roof line...2x4 is fine or
2x6 if you pefer....He also has to have a fire rated door between the garage
and living area...Insulation optional , but I would..Never have enough in my
book plus it will be an added sound barrier which SWMBO will like when the
compressor or table saw is running...HTH...oops I just noticed you're in
Canada...I think the codes are the same...You should call your CEO to be
sure...