Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What wood you do?

Peter Crosland wrote:
"Chade" wrote in message
Hello,

A tree blew over and I've been chainsawing it up. I noticed it seems
to have some attractive heartwood.

http://tinyurl.com/4vnhr5t

I'm not much of a carpenter and while most of the tree, I think it was
a Lime, will be going for firewood I'd like to make something nice to
show. The only thought I've had so far is to polish a slice as a
clock. I'd like suggestions, and tips, as to what to do with it.
Whatever I did with it would I need to season it first to stop it from
cracking over time? If so how? My late friend used to try turning
bowls on his electric lathe but they always cracked.

I agree that it looks like willow and it is in a pretty bad state. As a
firewood it will spit and crackle and produce lots of smoke. It is full of
moisture and even after seasoning will crack badly. The bottom line is
forget it!

Peter Crosland

If it is willow dont even bother for firewood. It burns really badly.