Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Whirlpool vs Maytag washers

little debster wrote the following:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rs-148578-.htm
little debster wrote:
DO NOT PURCHASE KENMORE ELITE HE 3T WASHER OR HE4 DRYER!!!!!!Purchased in
2006 from Sears of course, bought the extended warranty. Thank god we did,
cause we have had nothing but problems since we bought them! Within 3
months had the main board replaced on my dryer so far 3 service calls on
the dryer. Ran out of the warranty on my dryer, another 5 years will cost
$300.00 for the dryer!Got my fingers crossed for the dryer. Washed a small
load today, washer paused cycle on it\'s own. Pressed start to finish
cycle, then ALL POWER lost!!!!!!!!! NOTHING DEAD! grrrrr SO MUCH MONEY FOR
THIS \"GARABGE\". Looks pretty, nothing but junk! Called Sears to order
the Main board for the washer...thank god again that I purchased the
extended warranty on the washer too. Runs out in September 2011! If you
own these appliances KEEP THE EXTENDED WARRANTY! Never had to pay anything
extra when service arrives and apparently we use this service a lot and
probably will for years to come. ****ty thing is we thought we were buying
the Kenmore and Sears name, apparently we bought Whirlpool! I would never
had bought these appliances if I had known it was not really Kenmore!

Original message posted on Sept 22, 2006

aspasia@localhost wrote:

Clothes washer fills but will not agitate. Possible cause: lid
switch. Debating whether to pay hefty service charge or buy new.
$$ is definitely a factor. but I don\\\'t want to do
penny-wise/pound- foolish
Local appliance store said that if I decide to replace 11-year-old
washer, don\\\'t get Maytag; \"their service has slipped\"
(quoting them).

I know Whirlpool recently bought Maytag, but do not understand the
relevance of that purchase to potentially better service.

Does that mean that if I buy a Maytag now, I will get inferior service
(assuming store\\\'s advice was accurate) and that Whirlpool will not
support Maytags purchased before their acquired Maytag?

Confused.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY