Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Backing board for a bulletin board?

I don't know what size you're after. Ceiling tile with a fabric
cover works quite well and costs nothing to $4 depending on your
resources.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Feb 5, 12:45 pm, Scott Zrubek wrote:
Scott Zrubek wrote:

On 1/31/2011 6:05 PM, Scott Zrubek wrote:
I'm trying to create a cork bulletin board for my cube,
but having
trouble with ideas for the solid backing for the cork. My
first attempt
was to have two layers of 3/16" cork over hardboard. The
thumbtacks
don't stick into the hardboard. I went around the BigBox
today and
couldn't find any materials that would accept a thumbtack.

Anyone got ideas? I'm not married to cork as a material.

They make a couple of nice, specific products: Nova Cork and a
Burlap
board. Both of which run about $150/sheet. If they have to
special
order one board from Dallas, shipping is about $170.

I hope someone in town carries it, or I'll just try plain old
homasote.

If you already have the cork and you want to go cheap and easy -
rigid
insulation. The cork is doing the work and holding the
thumbtacks.
The rigid is just something to keep it flat.

If you don't have the cork it would be cheaper and easier just to
buy
a bulletin board. A 3' x 2' board framed in wood or aluminum can
be
had for $20. Last week I bought a 2' x 4' roll of 4 mm cork and
it
was $16 with tax.