Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob[_4_] notbob[_4_] is offline

Default Snowblower engine needs choke to run smoothly

On 2011-02-06, wrote:

Air filter being plugged would cause the OPPOSITE problem. You can be
assured this is NOT the problem.

Bingo! More likely, look for an air leak in the intake tract.

However, many engines are set up thet they NEED an air filter to be
properly calibrated, and the vast majority of snow blower engines do
NOT have an air filter (because it would very quickly freeze up, and
there is very little free dust in the air when it is snowing/snowy

Howzabout some sorta moisture trap/thingie that could leak air? I
know spit about snow blowers.

Again, very unlikely to be the problem. The plug will likely indicate
it is running lean, but with unleaded gas, reading a plug is much less
effective.

Reading a plug is incredibly effective. Just how lean, right down to
engine destruction, can be determined. OTOH, if activating the choke
is required, we already know it's running too lean. Again, I'd be
looking for some sorta air leak.

nb