Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT SUV must have hard top??

[U-haul won't rent a trailer to an SUV without a top! Maybe because
the SUV is too flimsy to stop a trailer it is towing without folding
in the middle? ]

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 19:39:00 -0500, "Ed" wrote:
"mm" wrote
I'd better not tell them about my car, a convertible. When the top is
down, the only thing that holds the front to the back is the floor.
It has some reinforcment that a Chrysler LeBaron sedan doesn't have,
but nonetheless, when I had a cargo carrier in the class A trailer
hitch, and I put on 8 pieces of damp sod, I coudln't shut the door
because the car was bending.

Many years ago I had a rusty '64 Karmann Ghia. I could hold the top of the
windshield frame and make the headlights move up and down.

I'll have to try that, but I don't think I could do it with the doors
shut.