Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JR North JR North is offline

Default Proview 986m 19" monitor

Found it. C635 10uf 250V bulging slightly on top and tiny trace of
black at the X center.
JR

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 13:35:18 -0800, JR North
wrote:

Monitor erupted in much smoke and loud hissing. Video scrambled but
stayed up. I lunged for the power cord behind it, and unplugged it
within 2 seconds. I took it apart, confident in finding some burst
cap or two. Nothing. Everything on close visual inspection looks
good. No burned traces or bulging/fried components. The board fuse is
OK. I've repaired this monitor twice since new in 2000. A couple caps
in the PS (would't start), and reflowed neck board (video brightness
up/down).
Could a fbt do this, and not show any signs? Something definatly
gassed out violently. It smelled more like burned insulation than the
acrid fried cap smell. I'm not competent to power up the board with
it apart.
JR