Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Possibly a silly question abt metalworking

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 15:42:17 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 17:53:32 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

Yes, I think a flannel shirt might offer fair protection, I seem to
recall the one I had that day might have been a thinner permanent-press
one. Anyway, that was a SERIOUS burn, worse than any sunburn I ever
got, and I have been sunburned badly a few times. So, I will stick with
the heavy welding jacket. I don't know what is in it, but it obviously
has several layers of heavy stuff inside, between to layers of heavy
canvas-like stuff. I do know it gives great protection.

Jon

Unless you're very fair-skinned, I suspect there was something unusual
about that shirt. I've been TIG welding for 35 years, including
several years welding every day, and plenty of time at 300+ amps
joining heavy aluminum. I've never taken any care in my choice of
clothing beyond making sure I was covered, and I've never had a UV
burn.

I should have added that I don't mean to encourage folks to take risks
with too little protection, or to criticize you for being cautious
after a very bad experience. My point was that most folks have no
problem TIGging in a long sleeved work shirt.

--
Ned Simmons