Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Bad Tenants

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Robert Green wrote:

Your points are all excellent.

I carry two guns. In addition to my regular concealed gun (a CZ-82),

I say now, ain't that a commie gun, son? (-:

Yes. And a most excellent gun for killing Communists (they like to get up
close, as in "in your face").

Well, I've got a commie starlight scope for my Ruger and it's pretty
serviceable except the rubberized coating is now as sticky as if it had been
honey-coated. Cheap too, just like the CZ's. No auto-shutter so one aim at
a bright light will likely kill it, but so far, so good.

I have a fold-up .22, five-shot, single action revolver

I've never seen a folding revolver. Got any pix?

Sure. Look he
http://www.naaminis.com/lrifle.html

The folding grip I have doesn't have the clip to attach to your belt, but
otherwise similar.

Looks sweet but it's probably illegal in Maryland unless I come across a
used one. What f''ing sense such a law makes is beyond me, but that's what
my gunsmith said. Of course, he also said the S&W .500 was just an urban
legend about two hours after I had handled one at a gun store up the road.
Since I've never seen small guns and derringers new in the display cases, I
assume he's right on this one.

Maryland has a "bullet database" which means all new guns sold have to be
test fired and a bullet sent to the State Police for logging. AFAIK, not
one prosecution has resulted from the massive and intrusive effort. It just
means remembering to use an older gun or a shotgun if you're going to kill
someone. (-: In a case we had here a while back, someone killed a two
people with bullets that had no identifying barrel marks. Turned out they
were firing 9mm shells from a .40 gun and the bullet didn't contact the
barrel completely, although it clearly had enough oomph to be lethal.
Someday I will build a ballistic water tank to check it out.

Same thing happened with the Beretta, but never with the Glock or the
Browning HP. They're both hefty enough to keep big hands like mine
away from rapidly moving pistol slides.

Heh! At the range three weeks ago, my Glock 19 fired out of battery. Blew
the **** out of both sides of the weapon!

Gack! That's certainly not what you want to have happen in a showdown with
a psycho. How old is the Glock? I know they were plagued with problems
early on but I thought they had eliminated them. From what I recall, Glock
blamed a lot of KB's on reloaded and/or non-jacketed ammo and lead buildup
in the barrel leading to overpressuring. It's why both ranges I use will
ban shooters that bring their own ammo (50 year old Korean War era surplus
was what one guy tried to sneak in!) What were you running through it?

Glock says they'll fix/replace the gun under their lifetime warranty. I've
had it with guns made of Bakelite. Soon as this one gets fixed, I'm

trading
it for about a dozen CZ-82s.

(-: I have to admit that the Glock and the Taurus (both with a lot of
plastic) are a hell of a lot easier to lug around than the all steel and
wood Browning HP. I'll have to weigh them all later today when I clean them
all.

Search for "Glock+Kaboom" and you'll get, oh, 26,000 results. Here's the
search with pictures:

http://www.google.com/search?q=glock...rlz=1I7GGLL_en

Yes, I've seen exploded Glocks but the most impressive display I've seen is
at the local skeet range where they have a display board with the sawed off
ends of shotgun barrels that were fired after the shooter managed to plug
them with dirt. Unless you see it close up, it's hard to believe that
hardened steel would shatter, bulge, ribbon and bend that way. There are at
least 20 barrels ends on the board now. A testament to stupidity.

And no, I didn't get hurt. My current squeeze was firing the weapon, but
thanks for your concern.

Jeez. If that happened to my wife I could never get her to the range again.

The only thing bad about BUGs is that you can almost never count on
them to work through intimidation alone. Racking the slide back on
my .25 makes less noise than flipping a Zippo lighter. The Browning
HP has a much more authoritative "snap" to it.

Why would you be racking the slide on a pistol? That's pure Hollywood.

The HP is single action and after my bud shot himself in the ass, I got
hinky about keeping a round in the chamber. Thus the need to rack it. Now
I trust it enough to keep one in the chamber and the hammer back with the
safety on.

Maybe next Christmas if I can convince SWMBO that we need another gun.
That's gonna be a hard sell, even though she's a retired Army colonel.
She's a crack shot with a .45 but it's just a qualification thing
with her, not a passion. There's clearly a gender component to gun
love. (-:

Love, possibly. Practicality can make a difference though.

A lot of women are preprogrammed to fear firearms but once you get some of
them down to the range and they do well, that reticence tends to disappear.

My current
squeeze is a mental health diagnostician at a psychiatric hospital and

works
the 4:00 p.m. to midnight shift. It didn't take much convincing that a CHL
was in her best interests.

The only problem I see with that is that some patients now know where to get
a gun. I hope she's "strapped" and doesn't keep it in her purse.

In fact, she's going for the mandatory class and range qualifications

today.
With two master's degrees, she won't have any trouble with the classroom
part. Earlier in the week she shot a 225 out of a possible 250 on a
qualification simulation.*

--------
* This is not a particularly outstanding score. Our BUG matches often
include shooting the course blindfolded! 200+ is typical - out of 50

shots,
20 are at SEVEN FEET against a man-sized target (20 shots are at 75 feet,
but we usually turn the targets around inasmuch as your typical bad guy,

at
that distance, is running away).

Here in Maryland, if someone shoots a fleeing perp (even a cop!) bad things
happen. It's already happened twice to Baltimore cops. There was even a
big stink raised because a cop shot someone armed with a Bowie knife as if
it were a foul in a jousting contest instead of a life or death situation.
People are stupid and this state attracts them like a magnet.

And yes, in Texas, you can use deadly force against a squint, mope,

'roided
up primate, or any other malefactor who is departing the scene at high
speed.

That's definitely not the rule here. We have lots of wealthy enclaves where
people lead lives so sheltered that they have no idea what it's like on the
streets. Five years as a police reporter gave me the typical cop's outlook
on the world: "Trust no one and you'll stay among the living." As a
reporter I mostly interacted with the "white shirts" (Lt's and above) and we
would always laugh at how green and naive rookies could be for the first few
years. That changed after enough exposure to the scum of the earth or when
they got their first serious service wound. That's when they grew eyes in
the back of their heads.

--
Bobby G.