Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Bad Tenants

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:

Repeat that over and over: "I shot to stop the attack... I shot to
stop the attack..."

The one time I was cornered (but unarmed) I shouted out (to the
neighbors looking out their windows) "I have no avenue of retreat and
have no choice but to use deadly force" as I reached into my (empty)
jacket where a shoulder rig would be. Did the trick.

It's regrettable that you live in a jurisdiction that mandates retreat.

Yeah. Blame the Great Crash that we're stuck here. It sucks, but what can
you do?

Pressure your legislators for a true "Castle Doctrine" statute that
incorporates a "stand your ground" provision. In our last legislative
session here in Texas such a statute was incorporated. It says that you

may
use deadly force to repel an attack, without retreating, at any place you
have a right to be: in your home or place of business, on the street, at a
movie, riding a bus, anywhere.

Sadly, the state is moving in the opposite direction and the recent Tuscon
shooting is going to accelerate that trend. Still, there *are* some ways
around the limitations. Always keep a deadly weapon thoroughly cleansed of
DNA and prints handy, for one thing. Make sure to insert it into the hand
of your dead attacker (or drop it nearby if there are witnesses!). We have
an "apprehended danger" statute that while not as strong as "castle
doctrine" does allow you to defend yourself if you can prove that escaping
was as likely to get you killed as standing your ground. It's even been
used successfully by people without a carry permit, as in having to take an
unusually large amount of cash somewhere and having someone try to rob you.
CHL's are hard to come by here and now cost about $5,000 and a lot of luck
to acquire. Across the river in VA, almost anyone can get a permit to
carry. And in nearby DC, no one can get a CHL although the Supreme Court
put the kibash on that BS. The Congress got all excited about guns in DC
when Rep. Stennis was shot many years ago.

The following states have "No duty to retreat" statutes:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana,
Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi,
Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode
Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah.

But at least half of those states have enough *other* stuff wrong with them
that we wouldn't want to move there.

--
Bobby G.