Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Villa Bob Villa is offline

Default How much of a toilet's power....

On Feb 5, 8:45*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Feb 4, 2:22 pm, Steve Barker wrote:

On 2/3/2011 8:24 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

....comes from the water stored in the tank, vs the incoming water
pressure?
I'm referring to an old style toilet, not some dubious low flush
annoy-o-lator.

the incoming water has NO effect on the flush in a convention tank type
toilet. you can turn the incoming valve off and still get the same result.

--
Steve Barker

NOT TRUE, the water going into the dip tube helps create the wave that
flushes the bowl.
===========

I'm thinking this is the right answer, and here's why. A couple of weeks
ago, I was at a B&B with the girlfriend, and this place used a well & pump
for its water. We were trying to fill the jacuzzi and noticed that even at
peak pressure, the water flow was pathetic. It took almost 2 hours to fill
the tub. Then, we discovered that the toilet was seriously weak, to the
point of "Aw sonofabitch - where's the damn plunger, or a bucket." We
mentioned this to the owner, who said "What?? Nobody else has mentioned this
to me. Thank you!"

She's managing the place herself, so she'll be counting on a plumber to
figure out the situation. Two other toilets in the building were equally
weak. Weak, meaning you flush it once and if you're an experienced
homeowner, you think "Uh oh. This is going to be trouble sometime in the
next 24 hours." I didn't know what to tell her, but my first thought was
that since they're all old style toilets, but not ancient, they couldn't ALL
be stuffed, out of adjustment, or otherwise broken at the same time. Had to
be the lame water pressure. But I don't know enough about well & pump
systems.

If the water pressure's lame on a well & pump system, what do you do to
remedy the situation? Some sort of tank?

If they had a submersible pump and pressure tank...they (she) would
have plenty of pressure. It may be a shallow well pump or above ground
pump that has to pump water down the pipe to push the water up an
inner pipe (also limits the volume of water).
I don't know the proper terms for these wells...but I have seen them
in the "old days".