Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Bad Tenants

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Robert Green" wrote in message
"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Robert Green" wrote in message
We've been thinking of renting our current home rather than selling

in
this
down market while we rent in some of the places we're thinking of

retiring
to. Unfortunately, movies like "Pacific Heights" where a bad tenant
who
knows all the tricks of staying in a place without paying rent, haunt

us.

Yesterday I saw a 'People's Court' episode where a deadbeat had

managed
stay, rent-free, in a Section 8 rental for three years by using a

loophole
that says a tenant can't be evicted from Section 8 housing if there

are
code
violations. Every time he was about to get evicted, he just broke
something
to forestall the eviction process, eventually plugging all the sinks

with
rags and flooding the place.

How can you drive a bad tenant out from a rental in such situations?

How
do
you prevent them from completely trashing the place on their way out?
know that tenants should be checked out thoroughly beforehand, but

even
so,
people can have no record of evil behavior but still turn evil.

While
I'd
probably NOT rent to any Section 8 tenants, I could easily see

someone
losing their job or some other such tragedy and so decide they wanted
live in my house rent-free for as long as they could get away with

it.

I'll entertain all solutions, even extra-legal ones (as long as I can
implement them without getting caught!).

--
Bobby G.

I don't do section 8.

Some have suggested that's not legal. Can you shed any light on how you
refuse Section 8 and whether it's legal to do so?

If they don't pay their rent it takes 23 days to get
them out. If they are paying and I don't want them there anymore it
takes
33 days to get them out.

That's how it's supposed to work, but this A88hole on the People's Court
apparently found that if the unit is not in good repair (i.e., he simply
broke out a window) that the eviction process is put on hold until the
repairs are made.

Here you simply serve them with a notice to pay or vacate or a notice

vacate. The judge does the rest. There are no valid reasons for not

paying
your rent. The judge doesn't even listen to the excuses.

Colbyt

If I am not mistaken, you live in Lexington KY where the judges are
probably
a tad more sympathetic to landlords then they are here. The more I
research, the less I find I like about being a landlord, at least in
suburban MD.

--
Bobby G.

I do live in Lexington and the judges simply enforce the law as it is
written. Sympathy does not enter into it. If you are not happy with the
laws in your state, lobby for change. Personally I would not be a landlord
in the northeast or the peoples republic of California.

There's a very definite geographical pattern to where it's good to be a
landlord.

There is no legal requirement, at least in this state, to accept section 8
or any other form of subsidized housing; so it is not a Federal law. I

have
accepted it in the past. I am an authorized Landlord. For your area a
simple call to the section 8 office will get you an answer to your

question
as it applies to you.

That's a good idea. I know that we have some section 8 rentals in my
neighborhood already, but I don't know any of the terms of the deals. I'll
search out some answers . . .

--
Bobby G.