Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default tambour doors. How to?

On Feb 4, 8:42*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 4, 8:40*am, Robatoy wrote:

On Feb 4, 8:19*am, "Upscale" wrote:

"Han" wrote in message
I showed Afina a picture of an entertainment center with huge sliding
doors, and she is somewhat enamored of that approach. *In fact, I am too.
Now how to make sliding doors with an oak veneer that are light and
sturdy and won't warp. *2 doors each 48" high and 22-24" wide ... *Seems
to me that 3/4" plywood is too heavy and thinner plywood might too easily
warp or get damaged. *Or ... ??

A solution to the size and weight would be rail and stile door frames with
panel inserts. If you feel that +/- 48" high inserts are still likely to
warp, then break them up with additional rails. Another thing to consider
with doors that high is where are they going to roll to so the TV is fully
viewable? It occurs to me that they might roll in front of some inset side
cabinets. Done properly, open or closed, they can look very nice and
natural.

I just finished planing a bunch of cherry to build this thing for a
client.
The corner joints will be different as will the vertical sides. (A
slight taper towards the bottom.)
The back is hollow, built like a torsion box with raceways for cabling
and the whole thing comes apart for ease of shipment.
When installed, there will be no visible wiring.
I have orders for 6 of these once the prototype (this one is for a 60"
plasma) is approved.
I am now trying to find some decent grommets.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/TuToneAV.jpg

Nice. I like it. It's a nice backdrop, almost like a stage curtain.
I could see it in some QS and highly figured anigre, with an dark
amber honey stain. Or in your case, Sarnian Dark Amber 100% Maple
Syrup stain. Tasty, no?