Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default tambour doors. How to?

"Upscale" wrote in
:

"Swingman" wrote in message
While both can have their frustrating installation issues, my
experience is there is far less mechanical frustration down the road
with a traditional tambour installation ... although tambour may be
just a bit more involved upfront, it is the kind of involvement that
requires common woodworking skills (routing, ect), not mechanical
skills.

I'm conflicted here. Tambour doors can look good, but he's dealing
with a large TV. Considering the TV size, tambour slats can warp, look
uneven or just appear overwhelming in appearance. If he can buy them
premade then possibly they might work out, but that's just a maybe.
Cutting your own with a TV this big is going to be a lot of work, a
lot of sawdust and I suspect, a lot of aggravation and swearing. I
think tambour doors are not as stylish now as they used to be.

Folding and pocket doors can look good in almost any size. Yes, they
can be a bitch to adjust, but much of that is dependent on the quality
of the hardware.

I'd suggest that down the road, both of these methods would be a waste
because the tendency would be to leave tambour or bifold doors open
most of the time because of the aggravation of opening and closing
them several times a day. These doors, however they're constructed
will likely look good when company is over, but that's the only
benefit to them in my opinion. I went through a very similar phase
with 46" TV and my articulating wall mount I bought from Lee Valley
Tools. Within a few months, I got tired of pulling the TV out and
angling it for my preferred sitting location. Now it sits inserted in
its slot and I watch it as it is.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...x?p=59991&cat=

3,43597,43601,60167,59991

I am not really rushing to a decision, and appreciate your comments.
Right now we are indeed leaning away from both a huge tambour and from
pocket doors.

I showed Afina a picture of an entertainment center with huge sliding
doors, and she is somewhat enamored of that approach. In fact, I am too.

Now how to make sliding doors with an oak veneer that are light and
sturdy and won't warp. 2 doors each 48" high and 22-24" wide ... Seems
to me that 3/4" plywood is too heavy and thinner plywood might too easily
warp or get damaged. Or ... ??

--
Best regards
Han