Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Use house heating or halogen far-infrared heater for one person?

?
"Yong Huang" wrote in message
Let's say I stay upstairs alone in a 2600 sq ft 2-story house. I can
turn on the gas heater of the house for upstairs only, set the
thermostat to (say) 70 F. Or I can use a personal haolgen far-infrared
heater aiming at me a few feet away, set at the lowest level using 350
watts. Which costs less? You would think the latter is cheaper because
the heat is localized. But it's continuous as opposed to the house
heater coming on and off. And also the house heater uses gas, which
costs less than electricity. If I didn't make myself clear, let me
know. Thanks.

In my town, that halogen heater would be about 6¢ an hour to operate. At
24 hours a day, or $1.44 a day or $44 a month. You can't heat a house that
size for $44 a month.

You still want the house to be about 45 to 50 degrees to prevent freezing so
you won't get away free on the gas, but you could save. The down side is,
you will freeze your butt when you sit on the toilet in a cold bathroom.