Owain

Default Fitting WoodBurner into Inglenook Fireplace

"Rick Dipper" wrote
| I did the dirty deed at the weekend, and ripped an old range out
| of my inglenook fireplace. The plan is to install a woodburner.
| The chimney is causing some confusion in my poor little head.
| My idea is to run the stove pipe in to the bottom of the existing
| (unlined) chimney. As the hole in the bottom of the chimney is
| over 600mm8600mm, I was going to cover it with a steel plate,
| cut a circle into the plate for the stove pipe, then seal the
| whole lot up with some suitable sealant.
| Is this is sensible idea, or do I need to line the chimney ?

It sounds a rather unsensible plan. AIUI it will produce a flat surface at
the bottom of the chimney upon which soot will accumulate, increasing the
risk of a chimney fire. (It will also stop Santa Claus coming down the
chimney at christmas time.)

Owain