Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Bad Tenants

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

What could go wrong?

As to one's initial choice of a firearm for personal protection at
home, as somewhat of a gun maven, I'd suggest a 16 (or larger)
gauge shotgun. A nice compromise is "The Judge," a revolver that
shoots .410 gauge
shotgun shells and/or .45 long colt cartridges. Your first shot
should be the shotgun shell. That stuns the assailant so he
presents a stationary target for the bowling-ball-sized bullet
that's next in line.

The Judge is a POS. It has such recoil that most people cannot
shoot it safely. It is inaccurate. It is a small hand held cannon
for people with short weenies. A real pump shotgun is a good home
defense weapon. You don't even have to aim, just point it towards
the noise. And a round over their head works wonders. The sound of
one being jacked is magnified about 7x in the dark. And shotgun
pellets don't travel far and kill someone ten blocks away. Or three
rooms away.Even if you severely screw up and hit the ground, they
will do damage to several people.
MHO, Ymmv, and all that stuff.

Heh!

A recent news report showed a 5'2" woman (weighing, at most, 110
pounds), got off several shots from a Judge at some would-be
robbers. The adrenaline surge turned her into Superwoman. - didn't
even flinch. Still,

A "round over their heads?" You're worried about killing someone "ten
blocks away?" Or "three rooms away?"

You sound like a victim waiting to happen.

You can be so stupid sometimes, yet lucid at others. Have you ever
been duck hunting, and someone put some shot over your head? The
sound gets your attention. And the shot loses velocity really
quickly, hitting you with about as much force as a common BB from an
air rifle at fifty feet. The "three rooms away" thing was in
reference to YOUR mention of using slugs in the .410, which has to be
around a 200 grain slug.
Do try to keep up.

Do you actually own any guns?

PS: Victims are at the barrel end of the gun. I'm on the trigger
end. And there ARE videos out there of little women getting a new
part in their hairline from handgun recoil.

HTH, but I doubt it.

Points to ponder:

1. NEVER fire a warning shot. You loose the advantage and mark your
location.
2. I DID NOT say anything about a .410 slug. I was referring to the .45
long colt bullet in the next chamber (up to 1300 fps and 1200 ft-lbs of
force), which is ALMOST as powerful as a maxed-out .44 Magnum (1300 fps
and 1500 ft-lbs of force).
3. I have had shots fired over my head and at my feet. And I, and about
ten other officers, returned fire on the ****er that did it. (He was easy
to pick out. We fired at his muzzle flashes.)
4. I do own guns. I qualified highly in the service, been through the
Police Pistol Program eight times and been to Top Gun three times in the
past two years. I used to be a NRA certified instructor.
5. I agree there are videos of little women trying to master something
like a .44 Magnum, often with humorous results. There are no videos of the
same woman in a fight/flight mode and in fear of her life. I have seen and
interviewed women who have fired 12 gauges from the hip, .357 Magnums
one-handed, and others. They survived - even if their assailant sometimes
did not - without a even a broken fingernail.

Bottom line: You do not shoot to kill. You do not shoot to wound. You do
not shoot to warn. The only words out of your mouth should be: "I shot to
stop the attack."

Repeat that over and over: "I shot to stop the attack... I shot to stop
the attack..."

These are the words that will acquit you at trial.

That was very helpful advice. Thank you. My late FIL bought a Judge.
Nothing to do but he had to have one. I shot it once, and found it
unacceptable except as a last resort weapon or a paperweight.

Steve