Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Cable Company Vans and Orange Cones

a.h.r. relate: The house across the street from me had a 2nd floor
toilet let go soon after a young couple bought the house. They hadn't
moved in yet and the water ran for close to 24 hours before they
stopped over to do some work and found out what had happened. Most of
the first floor had to be gutted and they are just putting the
finishing touches on the repairs.

So, I pull out of my driveway this morning and I see a cable company
van backed into their driveway - completely in their driveway, at
least a car's length off of the street.

Next to the passenger side front bumper is an orange hazard cone.

Now, I can see using a cone or 2 when the van is stopped on the street
as a warning. "This van's not moving, I'm working in the area, please
be careful."

But what's the point of using the cone when the van is parked in a
private driveway? I'm guessing "corporate policy" with no grey area.
"If you are stopped to work, you will put the cone out, period."

I bet it came from people hitting parked vans and wailing to the judge that
it was improperly parked and marked. Here's yer check. That is, if the
insurance company didn't buy them off to settle. Or someone struck their
knee on the bumper and wailed that the van was improperly parked and marked.
Probably the same guy that ran into the parked van.

It is also so supervisors can easily find corporate vehicles and verify that
they are on site and working. That is the supervisors who are not off
drinking, gambling, sleeping, or spending time at home during work hours.

You should know by now that we do have some incredibly stupid regulations,
almost all based on incredibly stupid people doing incredibly stupid things.
Warning on toaster: DO NOT USE THIS APPLIANCE WHILE SHOWERING. That sort
of thing.

When I go to the local landfill, I have to wear a neon yellow vest any time
I am out of my truck .............. Guess it makes it easier for them to
aim at me ......... Or find my body in case I get run over by one of those
huge metal tired vehicles ................

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.