Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Magnabend

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Winston wrote:
I don't understand the conflict with using multiple MOTs as
electromagnets. Every second electromagnet could be driven
with opposite polarity so that no repulsion occurs between
them, yes?

Well, the MOT electromagnets have both poles in the same plane, so you
wouldn't have to alternate. Like you would with magnets with poles on
the opposite ends of a bar or cylinder. Bob

I'm confused.

Let's say we have two identical MOT electromagnets
connected to the same pulse - D.C. source in the same way.

We discover that the outer 'ears' of the E cores are
both at magnetic 'south'.

Aligned side-by-side, wouldn't these magnets repel
each other?

Followup question: Would that affect the ability of
the magnets to attract the clamping bar, for better
or worse?

I can envision both possibilities:
The attraction to the clamping bar would be improved
because the resulting field distortion would tend to
push the lines of flux outwards from each electromagnet.

The attraction to the clamping bar would be hindered
because of magnetic 'phase cancellation' between the
magnets.

I'm tending towards the latter opinion.

--Winston