Posted to uk.d-i-y
curious curious is offline

Default change from oil to Gas combi or stored water

On Feb 3, 7:51*pm, Kostas Kavoussanakis
wrote:
On 03/02/2011 00:20, John Rumm wrote:

I would argue that the sealed system is the one to go for in most
circumstances. Easier to implement, less space, easier and faster to
fill and bleed,

Are these of interest in my (and the OP's case) where we already have an
old Y-plan system? Isn't it easier and cheaper to just stick a Heating
Only boiler in place of the old one and be done with it?

no risk of floods if you get a leak in the heating
system etc. No sucking air into the system and no pump over. On the down
side its a tad harder to add inhibitor since you can't just log it in a
tank, but you will get less corrosion with a sealed system anyway usually.

I don't meddle with these things and I have a local technican servicing
my dinosaur annually anyway, so I guess no problem in my case.

The Vaillant ones you were looking at can also interact with a boiler
that has external temperature control.

Ah, the Vaillant looks to my untrained eye as a problem in this
department. The weather compensation module requires its matching
compensator and (I think) an additional mixer module.

This means that the boiler can
use low flow temperatures for maximum efficiency when heating the house
via the rads, but then switch to a higher temperature for reheating the
tank so as to make best use of its capacity.

Thanks for the input!

Kostas

--
Emails to this address are dropped.

I as the original poster was looking for a cheaper alternative to oil
with minimum disturbance. My concerns were the pvc cold water storage
tank in the loft might need replacing as it is 20 years old and if I
needed to do that I may as well go for something different either a
combi or a system with hot water storage cylinder like the vaillant
one. I live in a chalet bungalow with the bathroom down stairs
bedrooms upstairs and cold water storage tank in loft so get very good
pressure in the hot taps so mains pressure hot water is not a required
so vented system would suit me.