Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default tambour doors. How to?

RicodJour wrote in news:5a0eca68-31a0-4beb-
:

I've never built tambours that big, but there's nothing wrong at all
with the canvas and wood construction. The only possible downside
would be warping, and that's more a function of wood selection and
depth. You could route a recess in the back of a few of the strips
and insert reinforcement - fiberglass epoxied in place, but that's
probably overkill.

It is possible to have the wood strips interlock with each other on a
canvas tambour. Think cove and bead. Clearances are of course an
issue, so you'd have to mock it up, and wood strip size would be
dependent on the involved radii the tambour would have to follow into
it's concealed position.

Good suggestions, and I will take them into account for the final design.
It's really early in the process.

Where were you planning on storing the tambour when the door is open?
The connections in back and the mounting hardware complicates things.

The doors would leave enough space behind the TV for the wires and
cables, and ventilation.

Post a picture of the look you're going for so we can get a clearer
idea of what you want.

Good suggestion. Actually the picture turned out fuzzy and has too many
personal stuff in it for posting. Description follows:

Location is at 2 intersecting blind walls (no windows). We now have 2
sideboards along these walls. The TV is on the left-hand sideboard
(71x18x29 w/d/h). There is 19" more space along the wall from the
intersecting corner to the entrance to stairs to upstairs. The right-
hand sideboard will be sacrificed or recycled.

The plan is to move the left-hand sideboard a bit leftwards, so that
there will be up room for an up to 19" deep floor to ceiling bookcase on
the right side wall (92" from the corner to the dining room "opening").

Then on top of the left-hand sideboard there will be a "bookcase" with a
door to the TV, and the rest of the equipment in a part of either
bookcase in the corner.

This sideboard is oak-veneered termite puke ("Scandinavian" style) that
has lasted 30 years and is still in good shape. It has 3 sliding doors
with lots of grandkids' toys that will need to stay there ...

So the idea is to make something oaky ...

Oh, and remember not to have the TV on when the door is closed.

Good point grin.

--
Best regards
Han