Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Gold Rush ......... any followers or watchers

On 2/3/2011 8:06 AM, Steve B wrote:

"Ground balancing" is a very important feature of any good metal detector,
and one that is not understood very well by many operators. Plus, the soil
conditions can change five feet from where you set it.

Exactly. It takes time and patience to learn how to tune ground balance,
and in some areas it seems that's all one ends up doing, constantly
tuning... Been out of it a while, but I'm pretty sure the newest models
can auto tune to a large degree. I want to take a decent one with me
when I move down under. My wife spent a lot of time roaming the bush and
has found old coins on the surface. Makes me wonder what might lie just
below!

Jon