Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Possibly a silly question abt metalworking

On 02/02/2011 04:29 PM, wrote:
On Feb 2, 3:30 pm, Jon wrote:

But, my entire chest was bright scarlet for a week. I was wearing a
heavy, dark permanent-press shirt that I'd (stick) welded in before with
no problem. But, TIG is a completely different kind of UV output.

Jon

I don't think it is different UV, but there is no smoke from the rod
coating to adsorb any of the UV. Some shirts will protect you, others
seem transparent to UV.

Dan

Yes, I think a flannel shirt might offer fair protection, I seem to
recall the one I had that day might have been a thinner permanent-press
one. Anyway, that was a SERIOUS burn, worse than any sunburn I ever
got, and I have been sunburned badly a few times. So, I will stick with
the heavy welding jacket. I don't know what is in it, but it obviously
has several layers of heavy stuff inside, between to layers of heavy
canvas-like stuff. I do know it gives great protection.

Jon