Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Bought a new Honda Lawn Mower

On Feb 1, 6:31*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Feb 1, 8:16*am, jim wrote:

Glenn Lyford wrote:
I've got two of those motors, and three carbs between them. *The new
gas still manages to gum them up solid.

What new gas are you talking about?

I have been getting ethanol blended gasoline
at the local Farm Co-op since the 70's

And no it doesn't gum up carburetors
Quite the opposite it will clean out
gummed up gas tanks

-jim

I have a mid-1950's lawnmower with a 6BS engine and Pulsa-jet carb
that starts on the second or third pull in the spring even if I left
gas in it over the winter. The Gulf gas I buy hasn't turned foul-
smelling or gummed a carb yet (experiments, not normal practice).

It does cause black mold on the outside of the can.

jsw

That's been my experience, although I've found getting premium gas is
a Good Move for the older engines. Grass that the thing choked on
with 85 low-grade it just sailed through with 91. Haven't seen mold,
though. Very rare we get that much humidity in the summer( or most
any time). And different parts of the country will have different gas
mixes. Here, they're really, REALLY fond of ethanol for an additive.
Supposed to replace MTBE for the smog.

On another mower, I finally found that the reason I had to completely
disassemble the carb before the first mow of the season was that the
carb needle seat was dropping out of position. Would run about half-
way around the front lawn and die, never to start again. What I found
was that the seat was a donut of some synthetic material and had
apparently shrank over the years(MTBE, I'm Looking at You). SInce the
needle points up, the seat would follow the needle down and flood the
works out. Take it apart, squirt some carb cleaner in all the ports
and the thing would expand, good until it got stored again. Finally
caught wise and replaced the seat, no more troubles. But I NEVER had
any gum to clean out. One thing I like about the Pulsa-jet is no
needle or seat.

Stan