Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry[_2_] Terry[_2_] is offline

Default Possibly a silly question abt metalworking

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 22:27:17 -0600, beauvine wrote:

Hi, I do soldering associated with my stained-glass work. What I'm
wondering is, what's the difference between soldering and welding, especially
in terms of strength...? I'd like to make some stained-glass-topped metal
tables, but what relatively-little I've seen about welding makes it seem
super-expensive, dangerous, and generally daunting.

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but what can I say, "Inquiring minds
want to know" LOL!

Thanks for your patience, and whatever info you might wish to share with me
=:-)

A non-metalworking option is to use glass paints that are available at
Hobby Lobby and similar places. They definitely do not look as good
as real stained glass but they don't look bad.

The wife had painted a canvas to look like a stained-glass window that
she had designed but never made. I got a rectangle of heavy window
glass the same size as one of our bedroom windows and replicated that
painting as nearly as I could, using glass paints***, and mounted it
in the window. She loved it. Unfortunately it self-destructed one
day, I don't recall how it broke.
--
Best -- Terry
***because my stained-glass skills suck... :-)