Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wire gauge and amperage

On Feb 1, 10:23*pm, Evan wrote:
On Feb 1, 11:54*am, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
So, 8 gage wire is 8 gage? He asked the amp capacity of #8
copper.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

On Feb 1, 10:27 am, ls02 wrote:

What amperage is Romex #8 copper wire? On some charts I
see 40 A and
on some I see 50 A.

Individual wires you could use 8. *There are a number of
calculators
out there on the web that will help with wire selection.
Distance is
a factor as well. *Plus what's at the other end. *Motors
that start
under a load like a big hvac compressor may need bigger wire
simply to
prevent to much voltage drop at *urge current.

Umm no, the OP asked the rating of #8 Romex wire...

Some have responded that #8 THHN individual wires
are rated slightly higher...

Are you unable to actually read the entire thread
before adding your own "wisdom"...

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

Same response I gave. I just added other factors that might affect
wire choice. Now that we know it's 3 feet to a subpanel there's not
much reason not to use bigger wire since there would be no noticable
cost difference.