Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom wall framing for towel racks, etc.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 11:38:32 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Feb 1, 6:48Â*am, "Bill" wrote:
Just thought about another "feature" I can install in my bathroom
remodel project...

That is, how many times have you seen a bathroom towel rack, toilet
paper holder, etc. torn from the drywall and then it is a pain to put
back up securely?

I've seen this many times. And since my drywall is not yet up, I think
I will frame in multiple "sideways" 2 x 6's anywhere there might be a
towel rack, toilet paper holder, etc. Then just use wood screws to
anchor the towel rack as it will be all wood behind the wall in that
area.

Second the motion!
BTDT...my bathroom remodel some decades ago still has original towel
bars, etc., still secure and viable having survived two active teens.
One towel bar even doubles as a grab handle for exiting the tub/
shower. Well worth the small extra effort to do it that way. In my
project flat mounted and glued/screwed 2 x 4's were adequate.

Joe

MUCH better idea is to simply put a sheet of 3/4" plywood on that
wall, and drywall over it. That way it is impossible to get the screws
into the crack between the 2X6s