Posted to rec.woodworking
Kerry Montgomery Kerry Montgomery is offline

Default Ping: Robatoy

Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 2, 12:07 am, RicodJour wrote:
On Feb 1, 6:58 pm, Robatoy wrote:

On Feb 1, 6:31 pm, RicodJour wrote:

I think I found a new toy for
you.http://www.woodwerks.com/mirka-ceros...tric-random-or...

Pretty impressive.

There is no such thing as a brushless DC motor. Pulsed DC , sure...

Alright...does that mean you have/have used the unit, or just
generally disapprove of it based on marketing claims? The video
highlighted some nice features.

I am not a motor guy, as recent threads may have indicated, so I have
to ask why Wiki has the first section on the differences between
brushed and brushless DC
motors.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushle...electric_motor Is
this one of those semantics things, or is the article wrong? It
looks like a reasonable Wiki article and there are none of the usual
caveats at the top of the page seen on sketchy info articles.

There's an upside to a sander having some weight, unless you're
holding it upside down or on a vertical surface for long periods of
time. I'm certainly intrigued by the concept, mostly because they have
made it quiet. The weight reduction was already available by using air
driven sanders, but they're noisy..and probably a bit heavier too....
and if you include the compressor, a lot more money than the Mirka
Ceros.

I have not used one, but from experience, Mirka is one of those
companies that take their products very seriously so now I will have
to try one. I will be in touch with a Mirka rep soon.

Price is not all that bad, considering.

Now the 'brushless' part. It probably is a marketing attempt at
projecting a zero maintenance image, and that's fine. The DC part bugs
me, because to me, DC is a continuous flow of energy, creating an
image of linear power application, i.e. smoothness. From a technical
standpoint, and I admit to picking nits, it is inaccurate although
most people probably couldn't give a rat's ass about that.
The range of RPM they claim, would indicate to me that the pulsing of
the DC would be at a high enough frequency that the application of
power would be pretty smooth.

The agility, the fit in the hand, all are factors that will determine
whether or not I will like it, for there is still a cord, and a
frickin' hose that I find the most annoying things of handling any
sander.

And, as I have touched on earlier, lightness isn't always a plus. To
have some mass between your hand and the buzzing disk functions as a
barrier. (I am glad my 12ga shotgun weighs as much as it does for the
same reason.)

Thanks for bringing the product to my attention.

Robatoy,
Your comment about the shotgun reminded me of my nephew letting his 14 year
old son fire their 12ga for the first time. The boy was asking if they could
saw off the barrel, and maybe cut the stock down too, so it would be like
he'd seen in the movies. After firing it for the first time, held tightly
against his shoulder, and almost being knocked down, the son decided that
the mass didn't need to be reduced at all!
Kerry