Posted to sci.electronics.repair
lsmartino lsmartino is offline

Default Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

On Jan 30, 12:03*pm, mm wrote:
Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

At 100 to 200 dollars, I don't want to keep buying new ones.

I was going to install a whole house surge suppressor. *When one of
them does its function, I think the MOV burns out, or some part does.

I haven't seen anything on the web about replacement modules for even
those units that might have them.

Will I be able to find, buy, and solder in replacement MOVs after the
first one burns out? (the green led goes out and the red led goes on)

I can't find any info about plug-in replacement parts, so if I can
repair any unit myself, I won't have to shop so thoroughly.

Items for sale, if interested:
I can install it myself. *I'm considering, in ascending price order:http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-IG1...se-Surge-Suppr...

and less likely (plus two are required, one for each leg)http://www.amazon.com/Square-D-SDSA1.../dp/B002GUZ1NI

I think that repairing a whole house surge protector is like trying to
repair a circuit breaker. OK, technically it can be done, but there is
no way to reliabily test them for performance after the repair. For
instance, after opening a 20A circuit breaker to "fix it", there is no
way to be sure that the breaker will trip at their designated
ampacity. The same applies to a whole house surge protector... there
is no way to test it for reliability after the repair. Also, there is
the risk that the repaired protector catches fire when the time to
clamp a surge comes if it wasn´t properly repaired. To me trying to
save 100 or 200 US$ is no excuse for taking the risk of burning down a
whole house.