Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

Fred wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
m:

That doesn't stop them from chewing on a cord, or getting hold of a
lamp they knocked off a table.

The 7ma current-to-ground trips the GFCI every time under your stretching
scenario for the ****ing contest. Yes, the kid would get an
instantaneous shock in the millisecond range, to no harm, but there's
plenty of leakage from hot to ground to trip the GFCI if he bites into a
wire, even if he's across the neutral. I've heard this BS
rationalization before trying to save money because they are expensive.
But, we tested it. We took an old metal 2-wire Porter-Cable electric
drill and ran a bright yellow wire from hot to the case of it....creating
the electrical fault. If you stayed totally insulated from ground, the
drill would run, but that damned GFCI was uncanny finding you out. Body
leakage to the air Xc would even trip it. If you stood in your sneakers
(insulated!) and touched the hot drill case, the GFCI tripped from the
capacitor your foot made with the concrete under the insulated sole. If
you started by touching NEUTRAL, THEN touching the hot drill motor, the
trip was instantaneous, and you barely could feel the shock DIRECTLY
ACROSS THE AC LINE before the GFCI tripped. Your idiot rationalization
with the little kid across the line wouldn't wash....especially if he was
sitting on a floor, even a wooden one with a vinyl top. (Click), dead
circuit, live kid.

Read furter upstream where they are a=talking about whole hhouse
GFI. That is the Eurropean name, used on 240 volt service. It doesn't
trip at 7 mA.

Teflon coated.