Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Steel strength charts

"John" wrote in message
Most of that sort of thing is found in second and third year ME texts
as student problems. Get the solution guide. Also engineering
mechanics under statics.

Stan- Hide quoted text -

In my day, these excercises used to work on paper but rarely in the
real world. The values for Youngs Modulus and maximum stress are all
given in the question and may not be realistic.
Also don't forget to consider the stress in the welds, esp[ecially end
effects. If possible, design so the welds are not stressed by the load
or are in compression.
Finally, proof load the finished structure.

John

I am going to fishplate most of the connections, too. That should improve
it greatly. Without totally using destructive testing, I think it will
handle the load I want.

Steve