Posted to uk.d-i-y
numtys numty[_2_] numtys numty[_2_] is offline

Default Ideas please

In message
,
Tabby writes
On Feb 1, 2:36*pm, numtys numty
wrote:
*After having ground floor ceilings re-plastered for a second time, they
*are once more showing cracks. I assume the joists are moving and
*causing this to happen. The floors above the ceiling are extremely
*noisy when anyone is upstairs.
* Does anyone have any suggestions on how to replace the ceilings as
*re-plastering is very expensive and obviously not the answer.

*Thanks in anticipation

You dont give us enough info to know whats causing the cracks. It
could be hairline cracking between boards, structural movement,
disintegrating lime plaster, or timber frame construction that moves,
undersize joists, or pretty much anything. Without said info, how can
we know the solution. Papering over them, regardlses of the actual
material used, is unlikely to stop it happening again.

Often ceiling cracks are overrated, its very easy to run a finger of
filler along them at painting time.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...n_a_Wood_Floor
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...oise_reduction

NT

Sorry,
I really don't know anything about the fabrication other than that the
internal walls on the upper floor are built on top of the flooring,
which is chipboard. The noises are the boards squeaking when anyone is
moving about upstairs.
The ground floor has a composite base, there is no sign of external
wall movement or sinking.

Having lived here for just under twenty years, I'm sure the main house
structure is sound. It's just annoying, having to try to mend the
ceilings when they have been plastered twice before already!

Thanks for all reply's
--

Archie Gallacher