Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
tm wrote:
I agree with the GFI protection on all household outlets. Good idea.

No, it isn't. You can get nuisance trips on refrigerators and
freezers. They have grounded cords and they don't need GFCI. I haven't
seen a new copy of the NEC lately, but I was told it is against code in
the US to use a GFCI to power either.

It was never against the code to use GFCIs on refrigeration.

But the NEC used to have exceptions for GFCI requirements in garages and
basements where a refrigerator/freezer would be plugged in. Those
exceptions are gone.

Plug-in refrigerators/freezers using 15/20A 120V receptacles in
commercial kitchens are required to be on GFCI protected receptacles.

The UL allowed leakage for refrigerators/freezers is about 0.5mA.
Tripping a GFCI means the appliance has a problem.

--
bud--