Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

GS wrote:
On Jan 31, 2:23 pm, bud-- wrote:
mm wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:37:32 -0800 (PST), GS
wrote:
On Jan 31, 9:45 am, GS wrote:
On Jan 30, 11:03 am, mm wrote:
Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?
At 100 to 200 dollars, I don't want to keep buying new ones.
I was going to install a whole house surge suppressor. When one of
them does its function, I think the MOV burns out, or some part does.
I haven't seen anything on the web about replacement modules for even
those units that might have them.
Will I be able to find, buy, and solder in replacement MOVs after the
first one burns out? (the green led goes out and the red led goes on)
I can't find any info about plug-in replacement parts, so if I can
repair any unit myself, I won't have to shop so thoroughly.
Items for sale, if interested:
I can install it myself. I'm considering, in ascending price order:http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-IG1...ction-Device/d......
and less likely (plus two are required, one for each leg)http://www.amazon.com/Square-D-SDSA1.../dp/B002GUZ1NI
Its easy to find expensive ones. I guess if you can figure out how to
take it apart
you can fix it. I bought one a few months ago for $35. Here is anotherhttp://www.drillspot.com/products/122270/Square_D_SDSA1175_Surge_Arre...
Drillspot sells Grainger stuff.
Thanks. Now it's 56 dollars. I see that Amazon has this 36 also
including shipping.
greg
So I showed you the same model you showed first. But, you do NOT need
TWO.
Oh, thank you. I got confused by the drawing, at
http://surgelogic.com/wp-content/upl...75_IB_8291-001...
which shows two for 3-phase (but only one for single-phase), and since
it has only 3 wires, one to the neutral, but none to the ground like
some others have.

It is intended for installation in a service panel. In the US, the
service panel (containing the service disconnect) has the neutral and
ground bonded together

I have yet to see suppressor not intended to be connected to breakers
in a service
panel.

I also don't like to call these surge, but SPIKE yes.
Surges to me a re very slow increases in voltage over the
safe limit.

A surge is defined (IEEE) as a "subcycle disturbance"

A "swell" is a disturbance that lasts from 1/2 cycle to a few seconds.

Longer is "temporary overvoltage".

A "spike" is essentially the same as "surge".

You can usually make local neutrals by connecting ground
to a neutral,

Not obvious to me what you are saying, but in the US connections
between ground and neutral downstream from the service not allowed (some
specific exceptions).

or make it using an isolation transformer, which
makes ground to neutral noise non existent at that point.

greg