Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Gold Rush ......... any followers or watchers

"Sunworshipper" SW@GWNTUNDRA wrote in message

Have been in tons of mines though, I can spot tailings 20 miles away.
That was one of my favorite past times out there in Nevada. I read
your post about 3 hours ago and started looking for a mine that I've
been unable to find again for many years. Well thanks to some silly
GPS hunting games I found it! It's the Anniversary Mine.

N36 12 57 62 W114 42 25 43

I have been in that area, and it is accessible from the North Shore Road.
It is quite desolate, but the washes make it easy travel for a dune buggy or
an ATV.

We went there with two dune buggies through the washes from Nellis
back when it was first paved as separate directions in Feb. 1984. I
remember approaching it from the North East, but I see now it would be
a lot easier from the South. The roads around the mountains were
terrible, like with half the tires hanging off the edge. That mine is
very scary it has about 4-5 horizontal shafts that are connected by
about the as many shafts nearly vertical approx. 75 degrees. I
distinctly remember thinking when we where there that the probability
of dead people at the bottom of those shafts would be very likely.

It is very likely that the Mob has planted some people there over the years.

The
wooden ladders back then where very shady. They probably have closed
in the entrance by now cause that is a VERY dangerous mine, but I know
another way into it, if I ever get back that way.

Exploring mines is tricky stuff.

I also found out what they were mining, been looking for that
information for 27 years. I had given the soft ball sized crystal that
I took from the mine to my bro. and never could find anyone who knew
what it was from a description. All that I had heard was from the guy
who led the way and he said it was for electric transmission
insulators. I had always wondered if it was asbestos... Guess not,
doesn't seem to be mined anywhere near NV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulexite

Hmmm, the specimen I had was about 3 times bigger than the one shown.

http://www.gemhut.com/ulexite.htm

$44 ! Wow, wonder if anyone buys the stuff. Gave my bro. a good
$500 rock ! Might have to go back and get some more now, that's IF I
get back to sin city.

What, you left the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas? Where did you go?

Haven't found any gold , yet.

We found ours over at Meadview, AZ.

SW