Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default Possibly a silly question abt metalworking

Ted Frater wrote:
beauvine wrote:
Hi, I do soldering associated with my stained-glass work. What I'm
wondering is, what's the difference between soldering and welding,
especially in terms of strength...? I'd like to make some
stained-glass-topped metal tables, but what relatively-little I've
seen about welding makes it seem super-expensive, dangerous, and
generally daunting. Apologies if this is a stupid question, but what can
I say,
"Inquiring minds want to know" LOL!

Thanks for your patience, and whatever info you might wish to share
with me =:-)

Ive done stained glass assembly with lead camions and ive also done a
lot of stainless steel welding using arc and an inert gas shield
,called argon.
I think i might be able to help you decide whats the best way forward
it might just be that its better for you to to concentrate on your
glass work and get someone else to do the s/steel welding and
assembly for you to your design.
A table inherently needs a firm flat surface for its use, and a
stained glass panel when laid flat without support is inherently
going to sag in the middle from its own weight let alone in use .
so as someone else has suggested, you would need a clear glass table
top undereneath you stained glass panel to provide the neccesary
support. If it were me, id do something quite different with the
stained glass table top.
This is what id do, using all glass and no lead.
Id take a clear glass sheet and lay the stained glass on it to the
design id want. have a border around it like on double glazing, then
pour a clear resin over it all with another clear glass sheet on top.
When illuminated from the underneath would look stunning and be
structurally sound.
hope this helps.
ted
in Dorset
UK.

there are plenty of techniques to solve sagging problems in horizontally
mounted stained glass panels. the easiest ones are to use steel flat rebar
on edge tied to the metal cames as support members.

this is a 4' square piece, made up as 4 panels each 2' square, under a
skylight.

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1296570318

regards,
charlie