Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Wilson[_3_] Chris Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default Ideas please

numtys numty wrote in
:

In message ,
TheScullster writes

"numtys numty" wrote

After having ground floor ceilings re-plastered for a second time,
they are once more showing cracks. I assume the joists are moving
and causing this to happen. The floors above the ceiling are
extremely noisy when anyone is upstairs.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to replace the ceilings as
re-plastering is very expensive and obviously not the answer.

Thanks in anticipation
--

Archie Gallacher

How old is your house Archie?
I suspect that most modern houses will suffer in this way.
The push towards cheap construction means that lighter beams of poorer
quality timber are used these days.
Calculations are produced to support the use of these beams and prove
that they will not fail. But they will be designed closer to the
allowable deflection than would have happened years ago. Plaster is
an unforgiving brittle coating, so as the plasterboard ceiling tries
to flex, there can only be one outcome.
Also, the lighter beams do not deaden the vibrations/sound as well as
their more substantial predecessors.
If your house is not of modern construction, then I would suspect that
some settlement has occurred to allow some movement of first floor
joists. This would not have to be serious structural stuff, just
shrinkage of key timbers would be enough to crack an expanse of
plaster.

Phil

Phil,
The house was built around the mid sixties, it's really annoying to
have had the plasterers in and then find the same thing happening once
again.

I'd really like to get this sorted but I'm at a loss as to what to do
about it.

She who must be obeyed has said it must be fixed!!
Anyone any Ideas how to deal with this.
The ceiling I mean, not the wife!

Thanks again.

Was that mine shaft your house built over properly filled?

--

All the best,

Chris