Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tm tm is offline

Default Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

tm wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

tm wrote:

I agree with the GFI protection on all household outlets. Good idea.

No, it isn't. You can get nuisance trips on refrigerators and
freezers. They have grounded cords and they don't need GFCI. I
haven't
seen a new copy of the NEC lately, but I was told it is against code in
the US to use a GFCI to power either.

So don't use them on either. They are usually blocked for child access
anyway.

A GFCI won't protect a kid from sticking something into an outlet and
killing themselves if they are across line & neutral.

A young child will usually not be dexterous enough to simultaneously stick a
bare metal object into both line and neutral. Even if they do, the main
current
path will not be through the chest. They most likely stick a metal object
into
the line terminal while sitting on the floor and get the current through the
body.
The GFI device will trip under those conditions doing exactly what they were
designed for.

But it's really your choice how safe you want the environment for your young
kids.

But you know this and are only looking for a ****ing contest.

tm