Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Magnabend

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
... I've asked on the Practical Machinist forum. If I don't get an
answer, I'll try Bottomly. ...

I just got the reply on P-M:
"I have spoken to Alan about the hinges and he has brought a box of the
prototype hinges into work today. I think he will write a bit of a story
about the Magnabend development over the next week or so. Geoff is away
on holiday at the moment (far southwest of Tasmania) where there is no
technology, but when he gets back I will see if he want to add something."

Bob

Alan Bottomly (the MagnaBend's inventor) has joined the discussion on
the Practical Machinist forum. As to the original hinges ("cup hinges"
he calls them), he said they tended to jam when being returned from
large-angle bends. Too little engagement after 90 degrees. He also had
comments about wire size used for the magnets, but I'm not going to keep
repeating what's said & recommend that interested RCM'ers join P-M.

Bob