Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default OT Searching Usenet

On 1/31/2011 12:01 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
I understand the menus- I think their algorithm is broken. It no
longer finds posts I know I made years ago, so I must assume there
are similar holes when I search for other authors.

Their NEWS search is broken even worse.

Google has been consistently destroying the original dejanews functionality
from the day they took over. My guess is that they make more ad revenue
through real-time google grouping, and have deliberately dumbed down the
archival searching to prompt people to instead ask a question in real time.

The problem is that there was a wealth of information contained within those
archives which is not replaceable. The accumulation of tens of thousands of
individuals, each with their own area of specialties, each contributing
knowledge that otherwise had not, nor ever will be published.

We lost a virtual user-generated Alexandrian library, all thanks to the
greed of Google.

Jon

If they still have the source data, it can be recreated, if Google can
find a way to make a buck off it.

--
aem sends...