Posted to alt.home.repair
Hell Toupee[_4_] Hell Toupee[_4_] is offline

Default OT Searching Usenet

On 1/30/2011 4:31 PM, Tegger wrote:

You still can find all old and new Usenet posts on Google.

No, you can't. That's the problem. The search function is broken, so
that search results are a hit-and-miss (mostly miss) affair.

On the Google home page, click the word "More" at upper left. From the
resulting drop-down menu, click "Groups".

Once on the "Groups" page, click "Advanced Groups Search" at upper-right.

And don't forget to change the number of results per page to 100,
because the search will _only_ show you hits up to the maximum number
of results you specified. Doesn't matter if there's five thousand hits
using your name on alt.home.repair - it'll tell you there's that many,
but only display the number of hits you selected.

The best I've been able to do is repeated searching using a
combination of keywords and dates in an attempt to bring up additional
search results. But sometimes, using the date parameters in Advanced
Search ends up eliminating all possible returns, because, again, the
search function is broken.

Google has been aware for years that this is broken, and they're not
particularly interested in fixing it. I can only assume that they've
decided there's not enough money in it to make it worth their while.