Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default More on my well pump

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message
On 1/31/2011 7:07 AM, RBM wrote:
"Tony wrote in message
After being shown how a check valve can break and stick up preventing
water flow the proper direction, I was sort of 2nd guessing the
replacement of my pump. I asked them if they powered it up after
getting
it out, no they didn't. Then I started thinking, they did replace 1
check
valve. I wondered could that have been the real problem? Did I really
need a new pump? I separated the two halves of the pump and powered up
the motor. It ran, but it spitted and sputtered going off and on. I
shook the pump half, it rattled a lot. I put them together again and
powered it up. The pump made a hell of a lot of noise and the motor
still
sputtered.

Now I feel comfortable that I definitely needed a new pump. I'm glad I
told them to leave it here for me to dissect it.

I'm curious as to how you connected the motor. Is it a 2 or 3 wire motor?

It's a 2 wire with ground and no control box. Being 1.5HP I held on good
when I turned it on, but there was no need to hold on tight, it hardly
jumped.

I hope that the new one is a 3 wire with a control box. This way if a start
capacitor blows, it's replaceable without pulling the pump