Posted to sci.electronics.repair
baron baron is offline

Default Laptop not charging.

bz Inscribed thus:

I have fixed many 'bad' supplies by cutting the 'broken' spot out of
the cord. It is usually where the cord gets the most flexing.

finding it, cutting and splicing the cord to fix it can be
challenging.

I usually cut a few inches from the power plug and check with an ohm
meter. If I was lucky, that is the end and some work with a razor
knife, soldering iron and hot glue and you are back working.
If it is at the power brick end, you will probably have to crack the
brick open with a screwdriver and solder the cord into the brick.

Sometimes, I end up with repairs at both ends and a cord that is much
shorter, in between.

Just a note: In the UK its not allowed/legal to do a repair where the
integrity of the repaired item, in this case, the PSU is compromised
such that it could be a hazard to health.

The PSU/brick case is welded together in order to prevent any attempt to
repair it. Making a joint in the cable feeding the appliance is not
considered safe.

Replacing the power connector on the end of the cable, if you can get
one, would be allowed. Unfortunately the manufactures have gone to
great lengths to prevent these from being available from any source.

Hint for all laptop supply users:
NEVER NEVER NEVER wrap the cord tightly around the supply, bending it
sharply near where it exits the supply.
Coil it loosely and let it look messy.

NEVER NEVE NEVER put a aharp bend in the cord near the plug nor near
the brick.

I second these last comments !

--
Best Regards: