Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default possible problem with Sony flat-face WEGA

William Sommerwerck wrote:

The condition is usually caused by the CRT's cathode
emission becoming weaker. When the picture no longer
comes on, adjusting the screen control higher will allow
the set to work for a few months to a year more.

I kinda expected that. If you're correct, it looks like I won't get my
money's worth out of the set.

I wonder if anyone still makes CRT heater boosters. grin Remember those?

If they use DC on the fliament check for a bad electrolyytic in it's
power supply. I used to add a filamnet transformer to series string TV
sets with a dropping diode to power an 84 volt string of filaments.
They barely lasted a year from new, without the modification.

Teflon coated.