Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Palin buys herself some eloquence.

DGDevin wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

The total deficit for 8 years of the Bush administration was a
staggering $700 billion. The deficit the first YEAR of the Obama
administration was twice the eight-year bush total, eclipsing $1.45
trillion.

I'm not disputing that the Obama administration has spent a
staggering sum of money, it doesn't make me happy either. My point
was that the Tea Partiers sat on their hands while the Bush
administration was spending like a drunken sailor, and only
discovered what a bad idea huge deficits were when Obama was
elected--it's the double-standard I find striking.

Heh! And just the reverse for the Democrats. Deficits were evil under Bush
and necessary under Obama.

It evens out.

True, Obama had a meltdown of the financial markets with which to
contend.

IMO that justified some "pump priming" and according to the CBO much
of that spending was effective at saving or creating jobs.

But Bush had two wars, Katrina, and 9-11.

I thought one of those wars was justified, i.e. going after Al Qaeda
in Afghanistan. Iraq is another story, not only were the
justifications offered dubious at best, but the cost of that war when
the interest is finally paid will be well over two trillion
dollars--Dick Cheney's assertion that the war in Iraq would pay for
itself had better be proven true pretty soon 'cause so far it looks
like it's going to cost us a giant pile of money.

Whether the war was justified is irrelevant to this discussion. You disagree
with one of the Bush wars, I disagree with the "stimulus." Whether we
approve of each, they were what they were and deficits took place.

The point I was trying to make was that Bush had demands of a nature similar
to those claimed by Obama.

As for the "war paying for itself," it will. As more and more of Iraq's oil
comes to market, the price, world-wide, will reflect the increased supply.
An increased supply equals lower price. This price reduction, of course, is
almost impossible to measure in that it's a "what if" scenario. But
reasonable people should agree there'll be some reduction.