Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred Fred is offline

Default surges slowly destroying

"Phil Allison" wrote in
:

"bud--"

Surges damage cell phones? I would ignore anything this source says.

** Nor would I.

Just a few days ago I took the opportunity to break open a Nokia cell
phone charger - the only thing that MIGHT be damaged by voltage spikes
on the AC supply.

The incoming AC connects first to a 10 ohm fusible resistor, then a 4
x 1N4007 diode bridge then a 4.7uf 400V filter electro. Very simple
and very robust.

Any surge on the AC that killed the Nokia would take out all the CFLs
and many other things too.

.... Phil

Yep, that supply will eat any surges caused by loose line connections,
switching motors on and off, etc......for lunch, convert it to a
regulated DC output and feed it to the phone as if nothing happened.

I don't buy any wall warts that aren't switchers any more.....even to
charge the wine cork puller.