Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

On Jan 31, 8:57*am, mm wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:16:51 +0900, "Michael Kennedy"

wrote:

"whit3rd" wrote in message
news:844078cf-ed6d-493b-a693-227b095fc__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i? ...
On Jan 30, 8:03 am, mm wrote:
Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

Ask your home insurance agent. *It's unlikely that the
prospect of homeowner repair of fire-safety items is
going to be highly regarded. *

I didn't think of this until Michael posted but so what? *Say I
repaired it and say I didn't do a good job: My insurance doesn't
require me to have a surge suprressor, so if I repair it and do a bad
job, and it doesn't cause damage nor does it prevent damage the next
time, they are no worse off than if I had never bought one. * So they
should still pay. *

A whole-house suppressor is wired without any circuit breaker
protection, usually inside the circuit breaker box. Every item in
that box has a "UL" or other safety certification, and NONE are
intended for disassembly or repair. Your insurer may well claim
contributory negligence if the item has been modified or altered.
If something inside a 2 foot breaker box shoots 3 foot flames,
the house is at hazard.

Faulty fuses, breakers, or whole-house suppressors are intended
to remain safe (they're fail-safe devices); it's normal to replace
them when they fail.