Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:37:32 -0800 (PST), GS
wrote:

On Jan 31, 9:45*am, GS wrote:
On Jan 30, 11:03*am, mm wrote:

Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

At 100 to 200 dollars, I don't want to keep buying new ones.

I was going to install a whole house surge suppressor. *When one of
them does its function, I think the MOV burns out, or some part does.

I haven't seen anything on the web about replacement modules for even
those units that might have them.

Will I be able to find, buy, and solder in replacement MOVs after the
first one burns out? (the green led goes out and the red led goes on)

I can't find any info about plug-in replacement parts, so if I can
repair any unit myself, I won't have to shop so thoroughly.

Items for sale, if interested:
I can install it myself. *I'm considering, in ascending price order:http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-IG1...ction-Device/d......

and less likely (plus two are required, one for each leg)http://www.amazon.com/Square-D-SDSA1.../dp/B002GUZ1NI

Its easy to find expensive ones. I guess if you can figure out how to
take it apart
you can fix it. I bought one a few months ago for $35. Here is anotherhttp://www.drillspot.com/products/122270/Square_D_SDSA1175_Surge_Arre...
Drillspot sells Grainger stuff.

Thanks. Now it's 56 dollars. I see that Amazon has this 36 also
including shipping.

greg

So I showed you the same model you showed first. But, you do NOT need
TWO.

Oh, thank you. I got confused by the drawing, at
http://surgelogic.com/wp-content/upl...8291-0014F.pdf
which shows two for 3-phase (but only one for single-phase), and since
it has only 3 wires, one to the neutral, but none to the ground like
some others have.

Do you think I should to connect a surge suppressor to unused circuit
breakers? Some instructions say to do that for increased sensitivity
but others say nothing about it. Because the circuits I wanted to
use are often off or almost totally off, just the baseline portable tv
current or a cordless phone charger running.

It also says "Twist wires one half turn or more for
every 12 in. (305 mm) of length." That means when all three wires are
running together, right? In conduit or something? Once they
separate, even if the wires are stranded, there's no point to twisting
them, is there?

There seems like a lot of confusion on protectors and the
manufacturers seem
to have various schemes going on. Some of the very small portable
devices by
Tripplite have ratings that indicate higher amps than the regular
whole house protectors. I installed the 'secondary" protector in my
breaker box

If thse are secondary, as they also call them, then where is the
primary? On the electric pole?

and I probably have 10 other protectors all around the house.

You should not have to keep buying new ones. You got some kind of
problem that requires attention.

I've never even needed one. I was just planning ahead.

greg

Thanks a lot, GB, and thanks everyone.