Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gs gs is offline

Default Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

On Jan 31, 12:01*pm, GS wrote:
On Jan 31, 11:57*am, mm wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:16:51 +0900, "Michael Kennedy"

wrote:

"whit3rd" wrote in message
news:844078cf-ed6d-493b-a693-227b095fc__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i? a63jfAD$__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i?a ...
On Jan 30, 8:03 am, mm wrote:
Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

At 100 to 200 dollars, I don't want to keep buying new ones.

Ask your home insurance agent. *It's unlikely that the
prospect of homeowner repair of fire-safety items is
going to be highly regarded. *

I didn't think of this until Michael posted but so what? *Say I
repaired it and say I didn't do a good job: My insurance doesn't
require me to have a surge suprressor, so if I repair it and do a bad
job, and it doesn't cause damage nor does it prevent damage the next
time, they are no worse off than if I had never bought one. * So they
should still pay. *

I want the SurgeSupp is more so I don't have to go shopping again, and
read new instruction manuals.

Also ask if the damage
to your surge suppressor is covered by your insurance.

If fixed properly, how would they know? As long as he isnt obviously
bodgeing something togeather it should be fine.

Yes. *Also, I hadn't even considered claiming damage to the surge
suppressor on my insureance.

So do they sell at retail the MOVs or other parts I would need rebuild
a surge suppressor.

Yes.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2062574#

You can also rent a suppressor from the electric company which they
will
install in your meter. I have no idea how they would know if it goes
bad.

greg

Compare this to the Leviton Joule rating.

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products...txtModelID=121